What Can an Elder Law Attorney Do for Me?
- Posted on: Oct 14 2018
Elder law attorneys specialize in the legal representation of the elderly and their families. Elder law encompasses a wide range of legal issues affecting older adults, including long-term care planning, health care, retirement, guardianship, Medicare, and Medicaid. In addition, elder law attorneys often assist their clients with financial matters and day-to-day issues that affect the lives of seniors. It is through their experience working with the senior population that elder care attorneys develop the ability to identify and address the specialized needs of older adults in a professional, respectful, and dignified manner.
Areas typically addressed by elder law attorneys in Mississippi
Elder law attorneys can assist seniors in Mississippi with:
- Financial matters, including issues such as financial planning, taxation, and housing;
- The selection and appointment of legal guardians;
- Long-term care matters, including facility selection and assisted living cost planning;
- Nursing home resident rights issues;
- Nursing home claims;
- Living wills;
- Advance directives, including long-term planning documents and durable powers of attorney;
- Estate planning; and
- Health care issues, including patient rights, long-term care options, Medicare, and Medicaid.
Questions to ask when choosing a Mississippi elder law attorney
When searching for an elder law attorney in Mississippi to assist you with any of the above issues, it’s important to make sure that the firms you contact are willing to discuss any questions or concerns you may have prior to entering into a representation agreement. After all, you’ll be working with your attorney on important matters for an extended period of time, so it pays to make sure that the firm you choose is attentive and responsive to your needs. Below are some questions to ask during your initial consultation with a Mississippi elder law attorney:
- How long have you been in practice?
- What area of law does your firm specialize in?
- How many years of experience do you have in your firm’s area of specialty?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to elder law?
- Have you ever handled a case similar to mine?
- What kinds of results have you had in the past?
Mississippi Elder Law Attorneys
Whether you need assistance with any of the topics discussed above or require guidance on other issues such as end-of-life decisions, unexpected incapacity, public benefit eligibility, or other important matters, the experienced Mississippi elder law attorneys of Palmer & Slay, PLLC, are here to help. At Palmer & Slay, PLLC, our Mississippi elder law lawyers utilize our education, experience, talents, and abilities to provide excellent legal service to clients in Rankin County and the Jackson metropolitan area. Whether practicing in the areas of elder law, estate planning, probate law, or others, our goal is to help our clients achieve peace of mind by providing the most effective and efficient legal assistance possible. Please contact us today for a free consultation.
Posted in: Elder Law